August 27, 2009
Hanauma Bay (or any other crowded place) With Kids!
Hanauma Bay on the island of Oahu is a snorkeler's paradise. Given that I have a thing for fish, it was a must-see on our recent trip to Waikiki. I took some notes from Carolina over at Kids Go West who has great advice on snorkeling with kids, and we were off and running. Or so we thought...OK, there is some Disneyland element to it all. But it's what we signed up for, and dag nabbit, we were going in!
This is my daughter happy from swimming with fish like the ones we saw at the aquarium the day before. And there is me, happy that I saw her see fish (and realizing that a true grownup snorkel may not happen this decade).
Here is what I'm going to do next time we head out to Hanauma Bay (or any other crowded place with kids):
1) Shoot to arrive EARLY, and then subtract an hour
2) Bring plenty of snacks, shade, and sunscreen
3) Bring a good sense of humor and a lot of patience
4) Don't try and waste time going off the beaten track at a popular attraction. The track that is most beaten might be the best one for kids. Just embrace the atmosphere, rub some elbows, and go for it!
5) Bring something fun to do on the way home to distract kids who are on the verge, like a story, sticker book, or a few gummy bears (they work wonders!).
Next stop - North Shore! And on the way, I'll stop by Photo Friday to scope out the scene.