After ringing in the New Year by starting the Keeps Me Smiling blog, I questioned how long I would last. But I'm still writing, and I still look forward to writing, and tweeting, and commenting, and connecting...on a daily basis. So, what's up with that? Here are some thoughts on why I'm smiling, and I wonder if it's the same for you.
1. After years of parenting, it's nice to refocus on the written word.
2. It gives me a voice, no matter how big or small.
3. It provides a fun excuse to reconnect with old friends, and a platform for meeting new ones.
4. Tweeting about blogging is almost as fun as blogging.
5. I like watching the eyerolls I get from non-bloggers.
6. It motivates me to keep current on news and events.
7. It teaches humility, because starting a blog this far along in the game means you are just one, tiny little micro-fish in a huge ocean of bloggers.
8. It reminds me how important it is to listen. Earning a readership, means being a reader.
9. Everyday life has become more interesting, because now there are more lenses from which to view it.
10. I get to learn stuff! My favorite was figuring out "Twit This!" (or maybe I just like the way it sounds).
10 (+1 louder). Whether you agree or disagree with their opinions, writers are thinkers. Add social media, and you have groups of people who can affect change, hopefully for the better.