After ringing in the New Year by starting the Keeps Me Smiling blog, I questioned how long I would last. But I'm still writing, and I still look forward to writing, and tweeting, and commenting, and connecting...on a daily basis. So, what's up with that? Here are some thoughts on why I'm smiling, and I wonder if it's the same for you.
1. After years of parenting, it's nice to refocus on the written word.
2. It gives me a voice, no matter how big or small.
3. It provides a fun excuse to reconnect with old friends, and a platform for meeting new ones.
4. Tweeting about blogging is almost as fun as blogging.
5. I like watching the eyerolls I get from non-bloggers.
6. It motivates me to keep current on news and events.
7. It teaches humility, because starting a blog this far along in the game means you are just one, tiny little micro-fish in a huge ocean of bloggers.
8. It reminds me how important it is to listen. Earning a readership, means being a reader.
9. Everyday life has become more interesting, because now there are more lenses from which to view it.
10. I get to learn stuff! My favorite was figuring out "Twit This!" (or maybe I just like the way it sounds).
10 (+1 louder). Whether you agree or disagree with their opinions, writers are thinkers. Add social media, and you have groups of people who can affect change, hopefully for the better.
I really love numbers 8 and 9. Listening, gaining perspective. Very important life skills. :)
I'm still cracking up about #5. Most (well all except 1) of my friends are not blogging, don't read blogs, barely opened up a Facebook account... basically they are not web-savvy. So when I talk to them about blogging, they look at me like I'm some alien being. The do humor me and read my blog once in a while, and one actually left a comment once. But later she told me she had a hard time figuring out how to do that. :)
I love getting tiny glimpses into friends' lives/brains/senses of what's funny
My main problem is how easily I get sucked into reading blogs, and before I know it, HOURS have passed, my children are collecting dust, and my home has been condemned. So, I end up staying away from reading blogs until I KNOW I have that much time to spend.
Post a Comment